From: Patrick
To: iaik-ssl@iaik.at
Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2003 3:50 AM
Subject: [iaik-ssl]cu|| Exception org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpException:
iaik.security.ssl.SSLException: Invalid SSL message, peer seems to be
talking plain!

Dear professional,

I have a problem on SSL HTTPS connection. I'm using Sun platform, Weblogic
6.1 and IAIK SSL 3.05

The following is my coding and that URL is only accept GET method

  try {

   URL url = new URL(null, host ,new iaik.protocol.https.Handler());

   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: openConnection begin");
   HttpsURLConnection con = (HttpsURLConnection)url.openConnection();
   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: openConnection end");

   SSLContext context = new SSLClientContext();
   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: setChainVerifier begin");
   context.setChainVerifier(null); // cert
   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: setChainVerifier end");

   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: setSSLContext begin");
   con.setSSLContext(context);
   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: setSSLContext end");

    log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: getInputStream begin");
   InputStream in = con.getInputStream();
   log("VISAPaymentHandler-[authorizePayment]: getInputStream end");

   BufferedReader reader = Utils.getASCIIReader(in);
...}

When the program run to con.getInputStream(); it flow the following
exception.
I have set the weblogic time out to 300s (5 min).

iaik.security.ssl.SSLException: Invalid SSL message, peer seems to be
talking plain!
        at iaik.security.ssl.o.c(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.r.f(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.x.b(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.x.a(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.r.d(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.SSLTransport.startHandshake(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.SSLTransport.getOutputStream(Unknown Source)
        at iaik.security.ssl.SSLSocket.getOutputStream(Unknown Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.f.markUsed(Unknown Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpBasicServer.getConnection(Unknown
Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpBasicServer.runRequest(Unknown
Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpManager.runRequest(Unknown Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(Unknown
Source)
        at org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.a(Unknown Source)
        at
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(Unknown Source)
        at
mms.contentserver.payment.VISAPaymentHandler.authorizePayment(VISAPaymentHan
dler.java:106)
        at
mms.contentserver.billing.ejb.BillingEJB.processPayment(BillingEJB.java:47)
        at
mms.contentserver.billing.ejb.BillingEJB_ty3a17_EOImpl.processPayment(Billin
gEJB_ty3a17_EOImpl.java:37)
        at
mms.contentserver.billing.ejb.BillingEJB_ty3a17_EOImpl_WLSkel.invoke(Unknown
Source)
        at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:305)
        at
weblogic.rmi.cluster.ReplicaAwareServerRef.invoke(ReplicaAwareServerRef.java
:93)
        at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.java:274)
        at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java:2
2)
        at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
2003-01-09 10:39:54.699 : VISAPaymentHandler [authorizePayment]:
Exceptionorg.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpException:
org.w3c.www.protocol.http.HttpException: iaik.security.ssl.SSLException:
Invalid SSL message, peer seems to be talking plain!
iaik.security.ssl.SSLException: Invalid SSL message, peer seems to be
talking plain!
        at iaik.security.ssl.o.c(Unknown Source)

Is anyone experience this exception before?

Regards,
Patrick