Von: iaik-ssl-owner@iaik.at [mailto:iaik-ssl-owner@iaik.at]Im Auftrag
von Tom van den Berge
Gesendet: Montag, 08. April 2002 12:42
An: iaik-ssl@iaik.at
Betreff: [iaik-ssl]cu|| 40 vs. 128 bit certificate question

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out what the (technical) difference is between a 40
and 128 bit certificate, like verisign is selling.
What is the actual difference between a "40-bit SSL Secure Server ID"
certificate and a "128-bit SSL Global Server ID" certificate. As far as
I know, there is no such thing as a keylength limitation in a certificate.
When my server application supports 128 bit encryption, and my client
application, too, I don't think that my 40-bit verisign server cert can
prevent the use of 128 bit keys?

In other words, why should I buy a 128 bits cert, which is more than
twice as expensive as a 40 bit cert.

Can anybody clarify these things to me?

Thanks,
Tom

--
Tom van den Berge                                tom.vandenberge@bibit.com
Development                                          V +31 (0)30 65 95 143