Re: [iaik-ssl] Hw to do client authentication only?

Hi,

I must say that I find your criticism highly unfair. SSL is not a
security protocol, it has not been designed to contain, administer
or grant privileges, and it might not even be the correct protocol
for your specific application. If it does not do what you want,
augment it or use something else.

Don't complain that a bicycle is of no use on water, and that it
does not fly.

++Jos

::
::
:: Hi Gerald,
::
:: This is the biggest problem we have with SSL being a security protocol.
:: The client cannot be forced to authenticate.
::
:: You should see the hoops we have to go through for CORBA security (CSIv2)
:: because of SSL. SSL is chosen because people thought that CORBA SECIOP was
:: too complicated.
::
:: The biggest problem we have is that SSL doesn't follow the GSS-API, and it
:: doesn't force client authentication. Also, it's so limited that you cannot
:: stick privileges in it.
::
:: It's a broken bicycle that shouldn't be allowed to be on the road. But
:: apparently it's a pretty color and everybody likes it. And of course,
:: there is nothing else mainstream. We'll ride it with flat tires if we have
:: to.
::
:: Good luck,
:: -Polar