[iaik-jce] PBE: can the generated secret key be retrieved?

Greetings,

I'm trying to evaluate the IAIK PBE implementation
for compatibility with our existing OpenSSL crypto
lib -based implementation.  I want to compare keys
generated with OpenSSL to those generated with
the IAIK JCE provider.

With the OpenSSL crypto lib, I can create a key
based on a message digest, a salt and an iteration
count.  I can then inspect that key (if I wish)
and use it with the algorithm for which it was
intended.

In JCE, you create a PBEKeySpec with the password,
but the salt and the iteration count are specified
in the AlgorithmParameterSpec object which is
used to initialize the Cipher object.  From what
I can see, the computed key can never be obtained.

I have to assume this is intentional.  Am I correct?

Thanks,

Scott