[iaik-jce] SSL connection failure

Hi fellow IAIK users,

I am having a problem that you might have seen before ...

When sending an https request to some apache web servers I get these errors:

1)java.io.EOFException: Connection closed by remote host.  (this happens
immediately)
2)java.io.InterruptedIOException: Read timed out (this happens after a few
minutes)

These are web servers that are owned/operated by other companies so I can't
affect them.  All I know is that they are apache web servers.  I don't know
what SSL module is installed.  The URL's that fail can be reached with
netscape and IE though so I suspect that there is something I can do
differently with the IAIK library to make these https requests work.

My code is exactly like the code in the demo class provided with the
toolkit named: demo.https.HttpsDemo
I can recreate the problem with the HttpsDemo class.

If I didn't have a cipher in common with the server or something like that
I would get different errors.  This looks like the SSL handshake didn't go
well and the web server closed the socket (error 1) or just stopped
responding (error 2).

I am looking for some sort of work around on the client side.
Anybody have any tips?

thanks,
Garth Fisher

* IAIK S/MIME Mapper Security Info                                        *
* ===================================                                     *
* for message:                                                            *
*   From: Garth Fisher <GFisher@paradata.com>                             *
*   Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 15:35:40 -0700                                 *
*   Subject: [iaik-jce] SSL connection failure                            *
* Message S/MIME properties:                                              *
*   Encrypted using:    not encrypted                                     *
*   Digitally signed:   no                                                *
*   Signature valid:    n/a                                               *
*   Signature trusted   n/a                                               *
* Compliance with policy for email addresses *:                           *
*   Encryption:         OK (None or better required)                      *
*   Digital Signature:  OK (digital signature not required)               *