[iaik-jce] IAIK JCE applet edition

greetings,

i'd like to apologise right up front if i'm doing something stupid. my
reading of the download page led me to understand that i can use
iaik.java.security and iaik.java.security.cert in place of java.security
and java.security.cert packages, respectively. however, from what i see
it is necessary for the applet to load the "IAIK" provider, otherwise it
appears to default to the SUN JCE provider. the IAIK dowload page seems
to suggest that loading the IAIK provider is not required:

     Registering a security provider with the JDK security API is
     considered a privileged operation which browsers do not allow
     to unsigned applets. This means that much of the IAIK JCE
     security functionality could not be used easily.
     Our solution solves all of these problems and allows applets
     using the IAIK JCE to run in any JDK 1.1 compliant browser.
     There is no need to install any software locally or to use any
     browser depedent APIs. The same applet will work on all
     browsers.

and yet the following code fails to load the certificate in an
_application_ (CertificateException: No such type):

CertificateFactory cf = CertificateFactory.getInstance("X.509");
X509Certificate cert = (X509Certificate) cf.generateCertificate(new
ByteArraryInputStream(bytes));

to get it working i had to supply the provider name to the getInstance()
method:
CertificateFactory cf = CertificateFactory.getInstance("X.509", "IAIK");

but in the applet that predictably fails, since IAIK provider is not
installed on the client. i'll be most obliged if someone could explain
to me how to get the above code to work in the applet, as promised by
IAIK, that is, without installing the IAIK provider on the client.

--
Aaron Stromas    | "Tick-tick-tick!!!... ja, Pantani is weg..."
Oracle Corp      |                             BRTN commentator