[iaik-ssl] Applet SSL problem

I've written an applet with uses the applet version of iSaSiLk. The applet talks to Caucho's Resin hhtpd which uses JSSE for SSL comms. The following exception is thrown when I try to open the connection:

iaik.security.ssl.SSLException: Invalid SSL message (EOF)!
 at iaik/security/ssl/i.a
 at iaik/security/ssl/i.a
 at iaik/security/ssl/i.e
 at iaik/security/ssl/ServerDHEKeyExchange.a
 at iaik/security/ssl/p.b
 at iaik/security/ssl/p.a
 at iaik/security/ssl/k.d
 at iaik/security/ssl/SSLTransport.startHandshake
 at iaik/security/ssl/SSLTransport.getOutputStream
 at iaik/security/ssl/SSLSocket.getOutputStream
 at PostURLConnection.connect (PostURLConnection.java:84)
 at PostURLConnection.getOutputStream (PostURLConnection.java:232)
 at Upload.doit (Upload.java:499)
 at Upload.actionPerformed (Upload.java:212)
 at java/awt/Button.processActionEvent (Button.java)
 at java/awt/Button.processEvent (Button.java)
 at java/awt/Component.dispatchEventImpl (Component.java)
 at java/awt/Component.dispatchEvent (Component.java)
 at java/awt/EventDispatchThread.run (EventDispatchThread.java)

This occurs on the following line:
 socket = new SSLSocket(host, port, new SSLClientContext());

I'm unsure if I need to specify things in the context like a particular cipher suite? Or should the handshake figure out how client and server communicate.