[iaik-ssl] decrypt with public key???

Hi,

I use in iSaSiLk v3.0 my own subclass of iaik.security.ssl.IaikProvider, and have
overridden (a.o.) getCipher() to print out the arguments to see what's going on.
In the SSL handshake, at the client certificate verification by the server, with
a cipher suite using RSA, a Cipher object is requested with algorithm
set to "RSA/ECB/PKCS1Padding/Verify", mode set to Cipher.DECRYPT,
and as key a PublicKey object (the public key from the client's issuer).

I do not see the logic here: why decrypt mode? How should I initialize an RSA
cipher in decrypt mode with a public key? What exactly is iSaSiLk expecting
here from the provider's implementation of Cipher?

Benne de Weger

=== Office: ==================================
       Concord-Eracom Nederland BV
       Hullenbergweg 355
       1101 CP Amsterdam Zuid-Oost, The Netherlands
       e-mail: deweger@concord-eracom.nl
       web:    www.concord-eracom.com
       phone:  (020) 3116540 (+31 20 3116540)
       fax:    (020) 3116541 (+31 20 3116541)
When it comes to information security, we talk business:
PCVault - Workstation and Notebook Hard Disk Encryption
SECLAN - Corporate Network Disk Encryption
SMAILE - Secure Mail Extension for MS Exchange + Outlook 97/98
CSA 7000 - Encryption Adapter (now with JAVA  - JCA/JCE Provider)
ESM 2000 - Eracom Security Module (with VISA/Mastercard Support)
Several CA - E-Commerce Products are in the pre-production stage
Consulting Services