Re: [iaik-ssl] iSaSiLk w/o RSA talking to SSL web server

> If anyone has any insight into what the real implications are of the
RSA
> patents expiring in Sept of 2000, I would be very interested in hearing
> about them.

There have been some indications that they want to go with trademarking,
i.e. you would be able to use an algorithm that does RSA but you would
not be allowed to call it "RSA." After a very bad reaction from the
people on the P1363 list they seem to have stepped back, apart from the
fact that trying to trademark RSA 20 years after its inception might be
very difficult legally.

I would assume they will have to rely on marketing to push their
products, and I bet that in a year they will be heavily promoting some
elliptic curve variant or whatever else they have exclusive rights to.