Re: AW: AW: [iaik-ssl] iSaSiLk w/o RSA talking to SSL web server

Polar Humenn wrote:

> That costs you a mere $300 or so to develop with. It costs you $50,000 up
> front just to play in the game plus 2% of *gross* revenue from any product
> you sell using the library. Of course, they're open to other
> possibilities, like paying them a million dollars up front and they'll
> reduce their percentage take to something a little less than 2%, like
> 1.25% or so.

I was told $75K up front in escrow, with 0.75% of revenue.  Still *very*
unacceptable IMO.  It is my understanding that this is their
service-provider licensing scheme.  They do apparently have an Intranet
licensing plan that may be easier to swallow; I don't really know
anything about that plan.  They also have a "per seat" service-provider
license where you pay an up-front fee ($25K) for 1000 _non-concurrent_
users.  For our particular application this can work and is the
arrangement we are pursuing.  Note, that there are *many* more
conditions to the licensing arrangments than just the money... joint
press releases, logo-branding, etc.

> Also, I'm not sure if they place a restriction, which they could very well
> do, that if you use SSL that you must use their SSL or one of their
> approved vendors such as Phaos JavaSSL, (actually, I'm not even sure if
> this product still exists), or consensus, I'm not sure any more if there
> are others.

I do not think this is the case.  They are aware that we are planning to
use a non-RSA SSL package.

> Anyway, if anybody knows out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much just confirming it seems to be business as usual.

> Cheers,
> -Polar

Ralph Roland
Impact Innovations Group