Re: AW: AW: [iaik-ssl] iSaSiLk w/o RSA talking to SSL web server

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Thomas Dorris wrote:

> Now my next logical question...  I've read through the patent issues on
> your website concerning the use of your JCE-RSA package.  But I think
> they just say something to the effect of "make sure you conform to the
> RSA license".  Without drudging through the RSA site (which has not
> impressed me with regards to information content), I'd like to know what
> exactly that would involve.  If I purchase a site license for iSaSiLk
> and your JCE package, do you have a feel for what additional cost I
> might incur to purchase an RSA license to use your JCE-RSA package?

I believe that you have to buy J-Safe from RSA, which is their java
version of BSafe. And then, I believe, you are not allowed to use any code
but theirs (at least in the states), they say for liability reasons.

That costs you a mere $300 or so to develop with. It costs you $50,000 up
front just to play in the game plus 2% of *gross* revenue from any product
you sell using the library. Of course, they're open to other
possibilities, like paying them a million dollars up front and they'll
reduce their percentage take to something a little less than 2%, like
1.25% or so.

Also, I'm not sure if they place a restriction, which they could very well
do, that if you use SSL that you must use their SSL or one of their
approved vendors such as Phaos JavaSSL, (actually, I'm not even sure if
this product still exists), or consensus, I'm not sure any more if there
are others.

But then again, it's been over a year now, since I talked to those people
seriously. Maybe things have changed, but not likely. I talked with some
of the marketing reps from RSA in the trade show corridor at the last
National Information Systems Security conference in D.C. a couple of weeks
ago about my RSA "experience", and they politely told me that the
person(s) I was talking to at the time, have probably been fired. (????
For wonder, I could only laugh, :).

Anyway, if anybody knows out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
-Polar