[iaik-ssl] SignerInfo advice...

Sorry for this generic question, but I'd like to know:

I have a certificate with md5WithRSAEncryption as Signature algorithm.
Does it make sense to use any other signature algorithm builiding a
SignerInfo object?

In other words: if I use a SignerInfo with this constructor:

public SignerInfo(IssuerAndSerialNumber issuerAndSerialNumber,
                  AlgorithmID digestAlgorithm,
                  AlgorithmID digestEncryptionAlgorithm,
                  java.security.PrivateKey privateKey)

can I choose any digestAlgorithm and digestEncryptionAlgorithm, using
the privateKey extracted from my certificate?

Thanks for your help..

Riccardo Conturbia
If your hopes scatter like the dust across your track
I'll be the moon that shines on your path
The sun may blind our eyes I'll pray the skies above
For snow to fall on the sahara

			Anggun - Snow on the Sahara -