Re: [iaik-ssl] iSaSiLkLight & client side firewalls

The only method that would work in all environments would be to tunnel
SSL on top of HTTP. We did a prototype proof-of-concept implementation
once but that was never completed and is not part of any of our products
because we only receive requests for it only once after every other
month. The current API structure also does not allow such a feature to be
added by an application with the exception of iSaSiLk 3.0beta1.

If and when we will implement the SSL-over-HTTP tunnel depends on
customer requests, especially from paying customers. At the moment it is
on our timetable.

Another solution for SSL from behind a firewall would be to use the
user's standard SSL proxy and connect through it just like the browser
does. In that case the applet would need to obtain the proxy settings
somehow, acquire the connect privilege for it from the SecurityManager,
and connect through it.