[iaik-ssl] Is Date Validation part of SSL Handshake implementation ?

A basic question : Is date validation of a Certficate part of the
Handshake Process ? Let me elaborate. Assume that a Server presents it's
Certficate following Client Hello for Server Authentication. Also assume
that I am using IAIK's libraries to build a ClientTrustDecider. Now,
will IAIK Handshake take care of checking if the date of the presented
Server Certficate is valid ? The User code will have other checks like
checking the Subject DN, verifying the CA, and then the Chain etc. In
essence, is date validation part of the SSL Protocol implementation ?

Rgds

Sundar