Re: [iaik-ssl] What happens after "send client_hello"?

The "send client_hello" message is output when the client sends its first
SSL handshake message. The "v3ClientHello" message is output as soon as
the first message is received from the remote peer (the message is
somewhat misleading, it may not always be a client hello).

There is no intensive computation being performed in this stage. If it
takes some time for the second message to show up there can be two
reasons:

 1. Initial class loading and initialization. If you are using Java
clients and servers there may be some delay caused by class loading, JIT
compiling etc. This should only happen for the first connection after
program startup.

 2. Network delay. If you contact a remote server on the Internet the
network roundtrip time may easily be somewhere in the range of 250-500
ms. The TCP connection setup handshake plus the time it takes for the
remote server to fork etc. could easily end up at 1 second or more with a
heavily loaded server.