[iaik-jce] Signing a pkcs10

I've got to send an unsigned pkcs#10 certificate request to my CA. If I try
DER-encode it using the toByteArray method, I get a runtime exception with
message: "Cannot encode this cert request. First it has to be signed!"
I think I should use certificate_request.Sign() before, but the private key
is
not extractable from my smart card, so I can't pass it to that method.
Is there any alternative? Maybe passing somehow a signed digest?
And after using the Sign method, does toByteArray() return a DER-encoded
pkcs7
object?
Thanks a lot
    Mauro