Re: [iaik-jce] SSL Handshake error with ClassCastException

Hello,

 it may be necessary to override method

 getEncodedPrincipal(Principal principal)

of the SecurityProvider class to get the DER encoding of a Principal object.

Note that method getEncodedPrincipal of class
iaik.security.ssl.SecurityProvider by default returns null since it cannot
be handled in Provider independet way. Class iaik.security.ssl.IaikProvider
overrides method getEncodedPrincipal assuming that the supplied principal is
an instance of iaik.asn1.structures.Name.

When using a ChainVerifier with certificates from the SUN provider
(instances of sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl) not overriding method
getEncodedPrincipal would be problematical, for insatnce, when requesting
client authentication by setting:

serverContext.setRequestClientCertificate(true);

When querying the ChainVerifier for accepted authorities, each principal
returned would be an instance of sun.security.x509.X500Name which cannot be
handled by the default implementation of the getEncodedPrincipal method of
IaikProvider.

The most simple way is to subclass the IaikProvider and override method
getEncodedPrincipal for accepting instances of sun.security.x509.X500Name;
and using the corresponding encoding mechanism. Subsequently do not forget
to set your new provider as described by
http://jcewww.iaik.at/iSaSiLk/doc/provider.html.

You also may prefer to override methods getPrincipal and getX509Certificate.