[iaik-jce] Repeated blanks converted to a single blank

I am using an SSLSocket to talk to an https server.  The remote server does, I believe,
use
RSA.  At unpredictable times data read from the SSLSocket converts all instances of
repeated blanks to single blanks.  So a return message that is "a     b   c
d" becomes "a b c d".

Can anyone conceieve of a way that SSLSocket might be causing this?  Is it possible that
the decoder would munge the data?

I don't have access to the remote server for debugging, so I can't just set a breakpoint
there to see the actual return data.

Thanks in advance.